Thursday, February 19, 2009

Running Against the Wind


There was a blistering wind today just northwest of Little Rock, AR-- mostly sunny, about 48 degrees. I decided to go for a run in this easy going land...not too shabby, I stayed cool but the cold air burned my lungs a bit. I wish a camera could capture the entirety of a place like the eye can.

Out in the country I swear the sky is bigger. Your peripheral vision expands. The blacktop rolls on longer and lays amidst the open plains like a smooth streak of paint on a blank canvas. Even the median appears a brighter yellow. Gentle creeks babble by, dozens of birds chirp and glide above as squirrels and crickets rustle within the side thickets.

I know Kelly Clarkson and the latest Emo Punk Rock is suitable for almost any occasion but the next time you find yourself on a wide open road near some cows and picket fences turn on the nearest country station and appreciate the simple beauty of our nation's landscape. Keep your eyes open and enjoy as I hang with the plain folk...taking it easy for all us sinners.

1 comment:

anonymous said...

I want to read about oil, man. Give me the inside scoop. Tell me about government sponsored militia's in Venezuela driving up prices or the real motivations of OPEC. Give me the dirt! You're a great man