Saturday, May 9, 2009

Memphis In May



Ok dope fiends...sorry for yet another delay. Since we last shared the web I've traveled another 2100 miles in my tank all across the deep south, mid-south and northeast. As you know driving across country requires gas and there are some amazing gas stations out there folks. Loves is a great stop, with a big bright red, yellow and black heart as it's moniker. The RoadRunner truck stops are cool too, similar color scheme and they offer always hot to trot coffee. Of course there is the traditional 76 Truck Stop but you don't see many of them any more. And my favorite stop BUC-EES. I don't know if it's their Beaver T's or the gratuitous use of billboard signage announcing the next upcoming Buc-ees. But I think it's a bit of both, plus considering they are only found in the Bible belt they employee risque double-entendre wherever possible. Of course the Flying J gas stations are the consummate winners boasting the cheapest gas prices on the open road.

After Shreveport, Louisiana I made a 500+ mile trek down to Freer, TX. First, I'll say this...most Texans desire a South Texas Ranch. The possibility of oil is great but the main attraction is the hunting. The South Texas landscape can best be described as a dustier amalgamation of the African Savannah and the Australian bush. It's quite pretty but very flat. The roads in this part of the country stretch straight on for miles until your eyes turn the blacktop into liquefied tar and little kids fry eggs on the streets. By the way if you're ever in Beeville, TX stop at the Burger Depot and order a double bacon cheese burger "all-the-way", with some tots and a Dr. Pepper. It'll throw you back a couple generations....all Americana, baby.

This past week I've been on the road to the great state of Pennsylvania. I spent a night in Memphis and happened upon the Blues City Cafe. Absolutely amazing music. The Dempseys from "Oh Brother, Where Art Thou" played a few sets, a Johnny Cash cover band stomped the stage and I was about all worn out when I decided to cross the street to BB Kings bar. And guess who walked in. BB King himself. They had just finished the 2009 Blues Award and he felt he deserved a cold drink. Stunning my friends. And no, the thrill is not yet gone... Aside from this surreal experience, May is just a great time to be in Memphis. The Beale Street Music Festival is a modern day Woodstock and they have the greatest BBQ competition on the planet.

We live in an absolutely beautiful country. We don't appreciate it, I swear. Today I passed through Ohio on my way to PA where anyone can mistake this landscape for that of New Zealand. Grassy hills so green that when the wind blows it looks like a shimmering ocean rolling with waves cradling a bunch of sheep as they float around on top.

Each state is unique in their laws, economy, agriculture and people. All of our great states also have a motto. Texas is "Friendship." Louisiana's is "Union, Justice, Confidence." In Arkansas, "The People Rule." Tennessee, who's RT.40 river valley watershed is a stellar road trip, is "Agriculture & Commerce." Kentucky: "Let Us Be Grateful to God." Ohio: "With God All Things Are Possible." I like West Virginia's motto which reads: "Mountaineers Are Always Free." But I think it's fitting that my favorite state motto comes from my home state of Connecticut. It reads, Qui Transtulit Sustinet, "He Who is Transplanted Sustains." I've been transplanted and translated many times in my life especially within the last month, however God Bless the USA because I feel right at home no matter where I am.

With Love,
RF

2 comments:

CIS said...

Dude, we are blessed to live in a beautiful country and we don't pause to appreciate it. Thanks for the reminder.

mommacita said...

XXOO Mommacita. I Love this!!!!